- Prior to the MyProxy v6.0 release in July 2014, the MyProxy Project used the
Metrics capability to collect generic statistics about the use
of MyProxy software.
- We collected this information for reporting to funding agencies, to
justify continued support for the MyProxy software.
- The data sent to the MyProxy Project does not contain user-identifying
- By default, the myproxy-server in MyProxy v5.0 through v5.9 will
send a UDP packet containing usage information to
usage-stats.cilogon.org:4810 after serving each request.
Since MyProxy v6.0, usage metrics are no longer sent by default.
- You can opt-out from sending this information.
- You can configure your own listener to collect
statistics on your use of MyProxy software.
Metrics site for details.
MyProxy clients (myproxy-logon, etc.) do not
send any usage statistics.
It is only the myproxy-server that collects and sends usage statistics.
What is sent?
The following usage data elements are sent by default:
- Component identifier (to differentiate MyProxy packets from others)
- Usage data format identifier (for different MyProxy packet versions)
- Time stamp
- Source IP address
- Source hostname (to differentiate between hosts with identical private IP addresses)
- Major Version number of MyProxy server (V)
- Minor Version number of MyProxy server (v)
- Task Code (t)
- Task Return Code (r)
- Requested Lifetime for Credential (l)
- Actual Lifetime for Credential (L)
- Informational Bit mask (B) to be interpreted left to right as follows:
- PAM used
- SASL used
- Credential passphrase check used
- Trusted Retriever (Certificate-based authentication)
- Certificate Authorization method used (Trusted Renewer)
- Pubcookie was used
- Trustroots requested
- Trustroots delivered
Additionally, a site could choose to report the following data to a local collector.
These data are NOT reported by default due to the private nature of these data elements.
- Client IP address (I)
- Username (u)
- User DN (U)
We have made a concerted effort to collect a minimal amount of data
for justifying continued support for the MyProxy software.
By not opting out, thereby allowing these statistics to be reported back, you
are explicitly supporting the further development of MyProxy.
However, you can disable this functionality via any of the following
You can configure where the
sends usage statistics and what information it sends via the
usage_stats_target option in
The format for the specification is host:port[!tags][,host:port[!tags]]... where tags
is a set of tags each corresponding to the information elements described above that
should be reported to the specified host. If no tags are specified or the special string
"default" is specified, then the tags VvtrlLB are assumed.
The special string "all" denotes all tags.
We welcome your feedback via any of the MyProxy
or by directly contacting
©2000-2016 Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois.